Note: This contest is for members of Qualicum Beach Family History Society only.
Qualicum Beach Family History Society members are invited to enter our second annual “Meet My Memorable Ancestor” contest. $100.00 will be awarded to the entrant whose entry, in the opinion of the judging panel, best meets the contest criteria.
Note: The prize will be awarded only if there are at least four entries.
Our ancestors are much more than a compilation of birth, marriage and death dates on a pedigree chart. They were real people with real lives filled with unique stories worth sharing and remembering.
Why not write about an episode or event that brings your ancestor to life? Some possibilities might be: a story of their survival (war, accident, fire, etc.), the everyday hardships they endured, or a unique life experience or encounter, immigration, hardships of war or even the rigors of daily life during the times they lived in.
A panel consisting of three members of the Qualicum Beach Family History Society will judge the entries based on the following criteria:
- The entrant is a current member of the Qualicum Beach Family History Society.
- The entry is unpublished, meaning it cannot have previously appeared in print or online.
- The entry is an interesting, coherent read with a specific focus of genealogical interest. It is a non-fiction article and, as such, no fiction elements should be included.*
- The entry demonstrates the researcher’s methodology, including problems encountered and their resolution.
- The entry may include family tree charts, photographs and other illustrations, if desired, and appropriately placed to support the context of the story.
- The length of the article is not more than three thousand words and not less than 1000 words.
- A list of any sources used to prove the research must be included with the entry.
Entries are to be submitted to the Qualicum Beach Family History Society and received by midnight, January 31, 2018. Submit entries by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
The winning entry will be announced at the Annual General Meeting on March 21, 2018, and will be published in the June, 2018 edition of our journal, “Voices of the Past”. All submitted entries, at the journal editor’s discretion, and with the authorization of the author, may be published in later issues of our society’s journal. Entries may be edited as necessary for inclusion in the journal.
*“Fiction” refers to literature created from the imagination. “Nonfiction” refers to literature based in fact.